Does your dog love to run and chase? If so, we have the sport for you and your four-legged friend! A Coursing Ability Test (CAT) is a simulation of hunting for small game in a field or meadow. Based on the sport of lure coursing, which is restricted to sighthounds, a CAT is open to both mixed breeds as well as purebred dogs.
When can my dog and I do this?
Coursing Ability Tests occur year-round.
I’d like to come out and see the “pros” lure course. When is that happening?
Lure coursing trials also occur year-round.
Where can I find when upcoming CAT or Lure Trials will occur?
Please see our calendar for the latest information or contact our Lure Coursing Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the American Sighthound Field Association (ASFA) Region 1 website.
What does it look like?
I’m interested, and my dog is too. Are we eligible?
Great! Odds are that your dog is eligible. In order for the American Kennel Club to keep track of your dog’s running record, they will need to be in, or to join, the AKC database. There are a few ways to do this, each of which results in an identification number you’ll use when registering for the event:
- If your dog is an AKC-registered dog of any breed and thus has a certificate like this in either purple or orange trim, you’ll use your AKC registration number:
- If your dog has an AKC-ILP (Indefinite Listing Privilege) or AKC-PAL (Purebred Alternative Listing) number, then that’s the number you’ll use. For more information about that 3-week process you can check it out on the AKC Purebred Alternative Listing page.
- If your dog has a Canine Partners number, that’s the number you’ll use.
- If you have a mixed breed and it is spayed or neutered, and you don’t already have a Canine Partners number, you will need to get one. This is a quick online process at the AKC Canine Partners page.
The only dogs that are not eligible for CAT are:
- AKC purebred dogs who are not AKC registered (ask your breeder for your dog’s registration “papers” if you don’t already have them).
- Mixed breed canines who are not spayed or neutered.
I’d like to know more!
Still unsure? There are a number of excellent write-ups about lure coursing and CATs: